Cheadle Hulme School seeks to appoint a Duty Caretaker to support the evening lettings, weekend sports and practical site security. As part of a team rota, there are 44 hours available over a two week period (the shifts include 3pm-10pm on weekdays and between 7am-7pm on weekends); flexibility regarding working hours is required.An enhanced hourly rate of £ is offered for this role.A job description can be found on the School's website ( ).Interested candidates should send their CV with a covering letter outlining their availability to working weekends and evenings and how they meet the requirements of the role. Those shortlisted for the interview will be required to complete an application form available on the School's website and successful applicants will undertake stringent recruitment checks including an enhanced DBS.
Applications close at 8am on Monday 12 April 2021.
Job DescriptionRole title: Duty CaretakerReports to: Estate Manager (Caretaking and Site Maintenance)Role PurposeThe Duty Caretaker team operates as part of the Estate Department to deliver general caretaking and maintenance services; usually after the school day - such as in the evenings and on weekends, although flexibility regarding working hours is expected from time to time and in consultation.The Duty Caretaker team is primarily responsible for supporting the lettings operations and site security, as well as supporting the day-time caretaking team to ensure that the School premises and estate are well maintained and kept to our high standards at all times.Cheadle Hulme School is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of young people and vulnerable adults and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment.Main Responsibilities“Out of Hours” Activities
- To provide a professional, friendly and helpful presence for lettings, visitors, staff and students using the School facilities;
- To provide flexible support for letting activities (such as setting up rooms, signage, tidying the site, car park marshalling, managing visitors, pitch security, handing out attendance registers, compliance with hire etiquette, dealing with questions and problems etc);
- To take care of facilities being used (mainly the Pavilion and Gym plus toilets) to ensure that areas used are tidy, clean and organised and that maintenance requirements are reported;
- To help with the daily maintenance of the Swimming Pool - including safe access, water checks, cleanliness, general upkeep and ensuring that the pool cover is put on at the end of the day;
- To assist with carrying out grounds duties as requested (such as the laying out of pitch equipment, and putting equipment away at the end of matches, checking footwear on the 3G, maintaining scoreboards, removing litter and other debris and reporting any problems or damage);
Site Safety and Security
- To provide support for other events and functions, as requested.
- To ensure that the premises and estate are secure and alarms are set at the end of the day (with lights switched off and windows closed) and dealing with triggered alarms;
- To take charge of the Duty Phone in the evenings and on weekends and managing evacuation and emergency procedures and providing on site First Aid;
- Act as a designated key holder if required, providing out of hours and emergency response to alarms, including arranging access to School;
- To help ensure that the School site is safe, especially during adverse weather conditions or similar unplanned events;
- To ensure that external stores, equipment and other goods are safely stored;
General Estates Support
- To help with routine health and safety checks on the premises (such as checking evacuation routes, roof tile checks, checking for trip hazards, regular maintenance checks on essential equipment etc.)
- To carry out general caretaking or maintenance duties as requested, including furniture moving, basic repairs to fixtures and fittings, liaising with Contractors, supporting plumbing/running taps, heating and boiler systems, distributing deliveries, taking care of left property and keeping the Lost Property room organised, maintaining whiteboards in classrooms and responding to ad-hoc requests;
- To paint the premises as directed;
- Assist with minibus maintenance on a regular basis;
- To carry out cleaning duties as requested. This will include mopping, vacuuming, dusting and wiping surfaces in classrooms, toilets and any other rooms or facilities as required;
- There may be an occasional requirement to train others in the role and to undertake cover for absent colleagues as requested;
This is not an exhaustive list, and will vary as the School’s requirements change.
- To undertake additional reasonable duties as requested by the manager or another appropriately senior colleague.
Person SpecificationQualifications1. A good standard of maths and English2. National Small Pool Operating Certificate is advantageous3. NVQ or similar qualification in a relevant area is advantageous4. A full valid driving license due to the need to drive School machinery and the Minibus
Background & Experience5. Previous experience of working in a similar role with hands on experience of working outdoors6. A thorough understanding of the health and safety implications of the role
Personal Qualities7. Excellent interpersonal/communication skills8. Excellent listening skills and the ability to understand needs and requests9. Good time management10. Enthusiastic, with the willingness to contribute ideas
Skills & Competencies11. Good physical fitness to be able to carry out the job to our high standards12. IT literate with the ability to use IT13. Excellent verbal and written skills14. Ability to troubleshoot problems, identify appropriate solutions and take personal responsibility15. Ability to plan, organise and prioritise effectively16. Proven ability to use initiative, be proactive and autonomous17. Ability to follow management instructions18. A methodical approach with tasks and strong prioritisation skills19. Ability to work positively as part of a team and willingness to undertake a variety of shared responsibilities
Job found on: