Position: SCADA Engineer
The Oracle Utilities Network Management System (NMS) is an integrated and flexible software
system that helps utilities reduce outage restoration time, improve operational efficiency,
provide better service to customers and safeguard workers and the public.
The Oracle Utilities Network Management System supports trouble management, outage analysis,
operations dispatch, crew management, switching management, reliability reporting and other
critical operations functions. In addition to application software, the Oracle Utilities Network
Management System integrates multiple business information systems– GIS, SCADA, CIS, AMR, and WMS
to name a few – so operators have an accurate and real-time view of the electrical model's
current conditions. It also maintains a complete and accurate history of all outage events for
management and regulatory reporting.
The Oracle Utilities Network Management System also includes advanced distribution management
system (ADMS) functionality such as power flow simulation, automatic switch plan generation,
fault location, isolation, and service restoration, volt/var optimization, and an optimal power
flow. These applications monitor and assess the characteristic of energy delivery in the
distribution system and enables distribution operations to make better operational decisions to
improve reliability and operational efficiency.
Oracle is looking for a SCADA Engineer to join the NMS product development team. The SCADA
Engineer should have a background in electrical/power engineering, experience with power
engineering applications, and an understanding of Real-Time Distribution Operations
Expertise should include an understanding of SCADA applications. The SCADA Engineer should
be proficient in C & Java and have an understanding of GIS. The SCADA Engineer will be
working with a team of developers through the full development life cycle to design, develop and
test new product and customer feature enhancements.
The distribution companies that use the Oracle Utilities Network Management System are facing a
changing landscape. The adoption of distributed generation, both large scale (Commercial/Utility)
and small scale (residential behind the meter) leads to significant challenges for the utility.
The successful candidate will play a significant role in helping our customers meet these
challenges as we expand our ADMS functionality in areas like Distributed Energy Resource
Management (DERMS), Network Capacity Allocation and Market Operations.
- Focused on enhancing the core NMS SCADA functionality
- Analysis of business requirements
- Writing external and internal design documents and conducting reviews with Product
- Design/code walkthroughs with Product Development and Quality Assurance
- Coding, testing and debugging
- System Integration and performance/scalability testing
- Review of Quality Assurance Test plans
- Work leadership in resolving problems and work assignments
- Customer support and problem solving
Preferred skills and experience
- Good written and oral communication skills
- Ability to deliver on-time and achieve customer satisfaction
- Multitasking capabilities to enable effective performance on multiple projects
- Self-motivated and able to work well with globally distributed teams
- Good troubleshooting skills
- Familiarity with Distributed Energy Resources (DERs) and their management (DERMs)
- Working knowledge of power systems algorithms including unbalanced 3 phase power flow,
optimal power flow, state estimation, and load forecasting
- Working knowledge of object oriented design concepts
- Working knowledge of relational databases and SQL
- Knowledge of distributed and/or client server application architecture
- Familiarity with Distribution System Operation & GIS
- Familiarity with SCADA
- Familiarity with communications protocols: DNP 3, OpenADR, ICCP, Multi-speak
- Familiarity with Agile development methodologies
Analyze, design develop, troubleshoot and debug software programs for commercial or end user
applications. Writes code, completes programming and performs testing and debugging of
As a member of the software engineering division, you will analyze and integrate external
customer specifications. Specify, design and implement modest changes to existing software
architecture. Build new products and development tools. Build and execute unit tests and unit
test plans. Review integration and regression test plans created by QA. Communicate with QA and
porting engineering to discuss major changes to functionality.
Work is non-routine and very complex, involving the application of advanced technical/business
skills in area of specialization. Leading contributor individually and as a team member,
providing direction and mentoring to others. BS or MS degree or equivalent experience relevant to
functional area. 7 years of software engineering or related experience.
As part of Oracle's employment process candidates will be required to successfully complete a
pre-employment screening process. This will involve identity and employment verification,
professional references, education verification and professional qualifications and memberships
This employer is a corporate member of
myGwork, the business community for LGBTQ+ professionals,
graduates, inclusive employers & anyone who believes in workplace equality.
Job found on: